Emergency Procedures Checklist
Instructor/Leader – Use this checklist at the beginning of meetings or classes to be prepared in the case of an emergency.
- “In case of an evacuation, the nearest exit from the building is _____”.
- “If we do need to evacuate, we will meet up at _____ (location).”
- “The nearest place to take shelter during a tornado warning is _____.” (See Severe Weather / Natural Disasters page for reference)
- If there is a person in the room who is in a wheelchair or needs special assistance, ask for volunteers to help this person.
- Ask for people to look around for places to hide, should you need to Shelter in Place.
Describe where the nearest emergency equipment is:
- “The nearest fire alarm is ______.”
- “The nearest fire extinguisher is ______.”
- “The nearest AED (Automated External Defibrillator) is located ______. (See Medical Emergencies page for reference)”
- “A landline phone is located ______ if no cell phone signal is available.”
Ask for volunteers to help with emergency notifications and procedures (ask for a primary and an alternate):
- “In case of emergency, who is willing to call 5111 or 911?”
- “In case of fire, who will volunteer to pull the fire alarm?”
- “Who is willing to retrieve the AED if there is a medical emergency?”
- “Who is trained and willing to perform CPR and use the AED?”