If you have a situation where the Access Services staff are not sufficiently addressing your accommodations after you have attempted to resolve the situation with them, you may request a meeting with the Dean of Students.
- Try to resolve the matter with the Access Services Coordinator.
- In the case that the student and the Access Services Coordinator cannot resolve the issue, the student can file a formal appeal as outlined below.
The appeal must include, but is not limited to:
- The first and last name of the person filing the appeal (this must be the student)
- A detailed description of the issue and any relevant information such as date, time frames, names of witnesses and the reason given for the denial of the requested accommodation.
- A brief summary of what the student has done to resolve the issue. This should include the chronological order of events.
- A final statement of the students reasoning for the requested resolution.
The appeal must be submitted to the Dean of Students in a written format (an email is not sufficient). The student has 10 business days after they have received the denial of their accommodation request to submit an appeal to the Dean of Students.
U.S Department of Education: Office of Civil Rights
If a student believes that they have been discriminated against based on their disability, they are able to file a complaint to the Office of Civil Rights at or at the contact information below.
Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education
500 W. Madison Street, Suite 1475
Chicago, IL 60661-4544Telephone: 312-730-1560