The Illinois Central College Upward Bound program is a TRIO college preparation program funded by the United States Department of Education. The mission of Upward Bound is to motivate and support first-generation, low-income high school students in pursuit of a college degree. Year-round services include a nine-month Academic component and a six-week summer component. Services help our students recognize and tap into their inner talents and strengths to develop resiliency and persistence as they build a solid foundation for secondary and post-secondary success.
All Upward Bound program activities and services are free for students enrolled in the program. Activities include but are not limited to Advising, Tutoring and Homework Support, College and Career Readiness, College Tours, Cultural Enrichment opportunities and stipends for participation as well as merit.
In order to qualify for TRIO Upward Bound, a student must meet all criteria below:
- Be a citizen or legal permanent resident of the United States
- Attend one of these Peoria area high schools: Richwoods, Peoria High or Manual
- Neither parent(s)/guardian(s) receive a bachelor’s degree and/or meet federal income eligibility guidelines
- Cannot be a current member of TRIO Talent Search
- Have completed the 8th grade but not graduated high school*
* 8th grade students may apply as early as the spring semester of their 8th grade year
Interested students may apply online. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. As part of the application process:
- Parent and/or student please complete the application for Upward Bound
- Student and parent/guardian must complete an interview and submit required forms
- Student/Parent can expect to receive a letter about status from Upward Bound
- Accepted student would participate in new student orientation with parent or guardian