WEI Program Saves Jack’s Life
Jack experienced a childhood full of obstacles. Likewise, his adult life was filled with many barriers, including poverty, the deaths of family members and friends, and incarceration. Jack shared, “At times it felt like the walls were closing in on me. I had no positive role models or support, and I had made many poor decisions.”
With the help of Illinois Central College and the WEI program, Jack was able to explore his potential. “This gave me a whole new outlook on life. I wanted to do better. I needed to do better. I was able to show my kids that education is the route to take and not the streets,” said Jack.
With the help of the WEI Workforce Readiness program, he was able to gain the skills needed for gainful employment. He then enrolled in the Truck Driver Training program at ICC. Within the first two weeks, he had his CDL permit. Within seven weeks, he had successfully completed all requirements to obtain his CDL license.
He shared, “I’m so grateful ICC offered a program that literally saved my life. The program support, and the support system that came with it, is what kept me engaged. I want to thank ICC and everyone at the college for helping me turn my life around.”
Now, Jack is an employee of Metro Moving Company, where he earns a family-sustaining wage and makes approximately $25 an hour.
More Student Success Stories
- Chase Transitions from Farm to Classroom at ICC
- 'Hands-on' Ag Internship Turns into Start of Maddy’s Career
- ICC Workforce Equity Initiative Provides Pathway to Danielle's Dream
- A New Outlook on Life
- Fighting the odds to Not Repeat History
- One Step Closer to Her Late Mother’s Dream
- Local Student Embraces His Indigenous Roots at ICC
- ICC Agri-Business Club Gives Back to Community & Excels in Competition