Illinois Central College and the Regional Workforce Alliance are pleased to announce the Greater Peoria Essential Abilities and Knowledge (GPEAK) certification system.
Over 85 community members collaborated on this project to develop a regional approach for assessing and validating essential skills needed in the workplace. Employers, community-based organizations, and educational partners in the region can become a GPEAK site and host the certification system.
What is GPEAK?
- GPEAK MEASURES an individual’s demonstration of essential skills and knowledge needed for meaningful employment, while encouraging participants to reflect on their growth and development of essential skills.
- GPEAK VALIDATES and communicates this information in a manner recognized by employers and education and training institutions across the greater Peoria region.
- GPEAK SERVES our community with a free and open platform for employers, community-based organizations, and education partners.
GPEAK Lead Partners
GPEAK Competencies and Performance Indicators
At the foundation of the GPEAK system are the Illinois Essential Employability Competencies, and a set of related Performance Indicators defined through extensive input from Peoria-area stakeholders.
Competencies in the GPEAK system are organized under three main headings:
|Working with Others||The Thought Process||Self Regulation|
|Teamwork & Conflict Resolution||Problem Solving||Initiative & Self Drive|
|Adaptability & Flexibility||Decision Making||Reliability & Accountability|
|Cultural Competence||Critical Thinking||Planning & Organizing|
GPEAK Core Components
The GPEAK certification system includes three main components:
- PERFORMANCE INDICATORS – GPEAK participants will be assigned a mentor and will review the Essential Employability Competencies and the Performance Indicators developed by our regional employers.
- CURRICULAR RESOURCES – GPEAK participants receive access to case studies, journal activities, reflection prompts, workshop ideas and mentor moments to help individuals reflect on and develop their employability skills.
- CERTIFICATION SYSTEM – GPEAK participants submit pre- and post-assessments and upload evidence to support the attainment of the GPEAK competencies. Validators review the information and award competency badges. Once an individual earns all ten badges, they will be GPEAK certified.
Businesses and organizations wishing to participate in GPEAK should contact [email protected]
Individuals from the following local organizations participated in the development of GPEAK:
- American Red Cross
- Andersen Windows
- Associated Bank
- Bradley University
- Career Link
- Caterpillar Inc.
- Chase Bank
- CliftonLarsonAllen LLP
- East Peoria High School
- Eureka College
- Excalibur Seasoning Co.
- Express Employment Prof.
- Farnsworth Group
- Goodwill Industries
- Greater Peoria Family YMCA
- Heart Technologies
- Illini Bluffs High School
- Illinois Central College
- Illinois Student Assistance Commission
- Jim Maloof/REALTOR
- Junior Achievement of Central Illinois
- Komatsu America Corp.
- Lincoln College
- Methodist College of Nursing
- Morton Economic Development Council
- Morton Industries
- Neighborhood House
- OSF Healthcare
- P.E.R.F.E.C.T. Peoria
- Peoria Area Chamber of Commerce
- Peoria Friendship House
- Peoria Public Schools
- PNC Bank
- Prairie State Legal Services
- RSM US LLP
- Southside Mission
- The Kim Group
- Tri County Urban League
- Unity Point Health
- Washington High School
- Wells Fargo
- West Central Building & Construction
- Trades Council