Paralegal – Certificate
The mission of the Paralegal certificate is to produce competent, well-rounded individuals who are able to work under the supervision of an attorney in the many areas of the practice of law, specifically, the student will be prepared to perform such tasks as legal research, client interviews, investigations, preparation of legal documents, and other legal work as delegated by an attorney. Paralegals are employed by private law firms, corporations, governmental agencies, insurance companies, title companies, and financial institutions.Â
Admission to the Program:
- A bachelor's degree (4 years/undergraduate) or associate degree from an accredited college or university is required for admission to the program.
- Student must submit an application for admission to Illinois Central College and must submit an official transcript from the college or university granting the degree to ICC Enrollment Services, L211.
- Student must submit a separate application for the Paralegal Certificate Program to the Program Coordinator and have an interview with the Program Coordinator before gaining admission to the program. The form is available from the Program Coordinator at ICC Peoria, Poplar Hall 117, by calling (309) 690-7691 or on-line at http://paralegal.icc.edu at least 30 percent of the total program of study must be completed at Illinois Central College.
- Student must take at least 10 credit hours or the equivalent of legal specialty course through the 'in person' format. PRLGL 113, 116, and 260 must be taken at ICC to graduate from the program.
- Students must attain a grade of “C” or higher in each PRLGL course (included equated PRLGL transfer courses).
This program is approved by the American Bar Association.
Certificate (Certificate Program)
Total Credit Hours: 38
Select a course number below to see a course description.
Required Program Courses
|PRLGL 110||INTRODUCTION TO PARALEGAL ||3|
|PRLGL 112||LEGAL RESEARCH I ||3|
|PRLGL 113||LEGAL RESEARCH II ||3|
|PRLGL 114||FAMILY LAW ||3|
|PRLGL 115||WILLS, TRUSTS AND ESTATE ADMINISTRATION ||3|
|PRLGL 116||CIVIL LITIGATION ||3|
|PRLGL 117||ADMINISTRATIVE LAW ||3|
|PRLGL 118||LAW OFFICE MANAGEMENT ||3|
|PRLGL 120||MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY FOR PARALEGALS ||2|
|PRLGL 215||BUSINESS ORGANIZATION AND PRACTICE ||3|
|PRLGL 260||PARALEGAL INTERNSHIP ||3|
|APPROVED ELECTIVES *||6|
* PRLGL 121, 141; CRJ 111, 225, 227, 230
Students enrolled in this program must meet with the Program Coordinator to plan a specific course schedule meeting Illinois Central College and personal requirements.
Computers are an important component to many aspects of this profession. The student should be familiar with keyboarding. If not, an additional class in keyboarding is recommended.
Recommended Course Sequence
|Fall Semester 1||PRLGL 110; PRLGL 112; PRLGL 116; PRLGL 117; PRLGL 215|
|Spring Semester 1||PRLGL 113; PRLGL 114; PRLGL 115; PRLGL 118; Approved Elective|
|Summer Semester||PRLGL 120; PRLGL 260; Approved Elective|
Program Contact Information
Business, Legal, and Information Systems Department
Poplar Hall Room 117
Illinois Career Cluster
Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security
Pathway programs at ICC have a map that shows the courses/degree requirements that will lead students to their desired education and employment goals.
Law, Public Safety, Corrections & Security If you are a high school junior or senior, you can get a head start on your future by taking college-level courses now! Visit our Dual Credit webpage for a listing of area high schools with courses available Composition I (ENGL 110) | Humanities | Introduction to Communication: Presentation and Theory (COMM 110) | Lab Science | Mathematics | Social Science Paralegal
(60 credit hours) None Paralegal, Legal Assistant, Corporate Law Assistant, Legal Analyst, Law Associate
Pathway: Legal Services
ICC Pathway: Paralegal
Associate of Applied Science Degree
If you are a high school junior or senior, you can get a head start on your future by taking college-level courses now! Visit our Dual Credit webpage for a listing of area high schools with courses available
Composition I (ENGL 110) | Humanities | Introduction to Communication: Presentation and Theory (COMM 110) | Lab Science | Mathematics | Social Science
Paralegal (60 credit hours)
Paralegal, Legal Assistant, Corporate Law Assistant, Legal Analyst, Law Associate $24-28/hr
Post-Degree Certificate(for those with an associates or bachelors degree)
Paralegal Certificate(38 credit hours)
Paralegal, Legal Assistant, Corporate Law Assistant, Legal Analyst, Law Associate$24-28/hr
OCCUPATION BACHELOR DEGREE TRANSFER OPTIONS
There are no current articulation agreements to Bachelor degree programs at this time.
CAREER CLUSTER BACHELOR DEGREE TRANSFER OPTIONS
guides layout course work to be taken at ICC and the transfer institution to complete specific programs of study or majors.
GENERAL BACHELOR DEGREE TRANSFER OPTIONS
Transfer agreements formalize the transfer process from ICC to other colleges and universities. For additional transfer information, including information on transfer partnerships and transfer guides: