Student of the Year Nomination
ICC will select three students, graduating, certificate and transferring to receive the Student of the Year Award (SOTY). These students will be recognized at the Student Leadership Awards on April 21, 2021 and at Commencement on May 15, 2021.
Nominations due: Monday, March 1, 2021 by 4:30 pm.
Student essay and Recommendation letters due: Monday, March 22, 2021 by 4:30 pm.
Nominations will be reviewed by the Student of the Year Selection Committee. Award selection is by majority vote, and all proceedings of the committee are confidential. The committee would meet the week of March 29, 2021 and choose the winners.
Make Your Nomination
Awards & Criteria
- Three SOTY awards: Transfer SOTY, Applied Science SOTY, and Certificate SOTY
- Nominees must have applied for graduation in that academic year. For example, a student who has applied for graduation for Summer 2020, Fall 2020, or Spring 2021 would be eligible for SOTY for the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Nominees must have earned a 2.5 or higher cumulative GPA at the time of nomination.
- Nominees must have consistently participated in: campus activities, student organizations, leadership organizations and/or volunteer service projects.
- Nominees must be in good standing with Illinois Central College.
- Nominees will be asked to submit a resume and complete an essay to be fully considered.
Complete Nomination Information & Submission
- Student Nominee Name and Student ID
- Nominator’s Name, Department, and Phone Number (Must be ICC faculty or staff)
- Nominator’s relationship to student (i.e. instructor, advisor, supervisor, etc.)
- Nominators will describe the nominee’s consistent participation in campus activities, leadership organizations, and/or volunteer service projects, as well as why he/she deserves this award (200 words or less)
Communication Plan and Process
- At deadline, a list of nominees will be sent to the Dean of Students to verify good standing. Any nominee not in good standing will not be invited to provide materials.
- Student Life will email the nominated students to let them know they have been nominated and ask them to submit a resume, letters of reference, and an essay.
- The essay instructions are: In 300 words or less, please address what you have gained from your ICC experience. The student would email the resume and essay to [email protected] as Word attachments.
- Student must solicit two letters of recommendation (one must be from ICC faculty/staff) to support the nomination. A form for recommendations will be provided and will guide the supporters to indicate the character of nominee and consistent participation in: campus activities, leadership organizations and/or volunteer service projects. *Recommendation letters cannot be from the original nominator.
- One week before deadline, Manager of Student Life will notify each nominator about any missing information (recommendations, resume and essay). Nominators will be responsible for following up to ensure a complete nomination packet.
- Nomination packets and rubric will be provided to selection committee. The committee will meet within two weeks of receiving packets to make recommendations.
- Committee will compile list of no less than 2 and no more than 3 recommendations for each SOTY award. The lists will be forwarded to Vice President of Student Services (VPSS) for final selection and approval. (VPSS may forward and/or include President in final approval.)
- VPSS will send final approvals to Manager of Student Life.
- Manager of Student Life will notify all nominators and nominees of the outcome and extend formal invitations to attend the Leadership Awards to selected nominators and nominees.
- Manager of Student Life will notify Events Coordinator of winners so appropriate communications about recognition at May graduation ceremony can occur.