Winter Weather Preparedness
As we get closer to winter, the chances of extreme weather increase and weather-related closings are a possibility. In preparation, please review ICC’s weather-closing procedures.
How do we decide whether to close? ICC considers many factors including the status of area schools, road conditions, scheduled classes/activities, and the ability to clear campus parking lots and sidewalks.
When will we decide? The College has the following deadlines for communicating this information so employees and students know when to expect a decision:
- By 6 am – If all classes/activities are canceled and offices are closed for the morning or the entire day.
- By 10 am – If all afternoon classes/activities beginning at 1 pm and later are canceled, and/or evening classes/activities.
- By 3 pm – If all evening classes/activities beginning at 5 pm or later are canceled.
How will I know we have closed? Expect to hear from us in the following ways:
- MyAlert – You’ll receive messages from this system via text, phone, or email to the devices you specified in your account. Visit my.icc.edu to review or update your contact information in MyAlert.
- ICC homepage – You will see an alert banner at the top of the homepage.
- Social media – Check Facebook and Instagram for the latest information.
- Local media – Every effort is made to update our local television stations and Peoria Journal Star (online) media contacts as soon as a decision is finalized. There is usually a slight delay between the time we alert the media and when the information is distributed.
- When we make the decision to close, ALL offices are closed and ALL classes and activities are canceled during the designated timeframe.
- If you don’t hear from us, ICC is OPEN.
- Always use your best judgment in traveling from your home to ICC, and be considerate of students living in outlying areas who may need extra travel time. If the College is OPEN and you choose not to report to work, you must use personal or vacation time.
Wishing you a safe and warm winter season.