Faculty & Staff

Prairie Wind Ensemble Presents Final Concert of the Season May 8 at ICC



The Prairie Wind Ensemble, in residence at Illinois Central College, will present its final concert of the season on Friday, May 8, at 7:30 pm, at the ICC Performing Arts Center, East Peoria Campus.

The ensemble will feature Metamora High School tuba player and winner of the Earl Barnes Student Soloist Competition, Derek Zimmerman, who will perform Edward Gregson’s Tuba Concerto. Zimmerman will be attending Illinois State University in the fall to major in Music Education and is the principal tubist of the Central Illinois Youth Symphony.

The concert program will include: Emblem of Unity by J.J. Richards, the beautiful Song for Lindsay, A Movement for Rosa by Mark Camphouse, A Festival Prelude by Alfred Reed, Vesuvius by Frank Tichelli, Pageant by Vincent Persichetti and Oklahoma Selection by Richard Rodgers.

The Prairie Wind Ensemble is directed by Dr. Joseph Manfredo, coordinator for music education and student teaching and associate professor of music for Illinois State University’s School of Music. Dr. Manfredo joined the ensemble in 2012 and is in high demand as guest conductor, clinician and adjudicator. He has conducted various All-State and Honor Bands throughout the Midwest and Southeastern United States.

The ensemble was founded by Conductor Emeritus Dr. Donald Lewellen in 1977 and represents many professional backgrounds. Approximately 70% of its members are current or retired professional music educators, with the remaining 30% composed of a diverse group of backgrounds, including a recording technician, nurse, educator, anesthesiologist, information technologist, electronics technician, engineer, attorney, homemaker, electrician, retail manager and project manager. Members are residents of many towns in Illinois.

Further information on the ensemble may be found online at prairiewindensemble.com or by calling Chairman of the PWE Board Dan Dietrich at [email protected] or (309) 691-8711, or PWE Publicity Coordinator Elizabeth Lehnhausen Driscoll at [email protected] or (309) 635-6389.

Tickets for the performance are $8 for adults and $6 for senior citizens and students. Group rates are available. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit ArtsatICC.com Tickets also may be purchased in person or by calling the ICC Performing Arts Center Box Office at (309) 694-5136.