Threats of Violence and Suspicious Packages
Treat all threats of violence (bomb, active shooter, etc.) and suspicious packages as a serious matter and immediately call ICC Police at (309) 694-5111. Give your name, location, and phone number.
- Give the time, location, and content/description of the threat.
- Stay on the line until the dispatcher terminates the call.
- Do not create panic. Any decision regarding evacuations will be made by ICC Police and other authorities. Follow instructions given and, if you are told to do so, then calmly follow the evacuation procedures. Take your notes about the threat with you.
If you receive a threat by telephone
Remain calm, keep the caller on the line, and write down as many of the caller’s exact words as you can. Other information to gather includes:
- Time of call and which phone line the threat comes in on
- Phone number or location of caller, if displayed on your phone
- Location of threatened act
- If threat involves a bomb, description of bomb and when/how it will explode
- If threat involves a weapon, description and number of weapons involved
- Who is going to commit the threatened act and why (is it directed at a specific person?)
- Name and general characteristics of caller (age, gender, attitude, etc.)
- Noticeable speech pattern, accent, etc.
- Description of any background noises or other clues about location or identity
- If the call seemed to be a recording
Keep a Bomb Threat Checklist at your desk to help you gather this information.
If you see a threat made through social media:
- Note the name of the person making the threat and the application they used to make it.
- Record the exact wording of the threat as it was posted.
- Take a screen shot of the computer or phone if possible.
If you receive or observe a suspicious piece of mail, material, or package (including backpacks and book bags):
- Do not touch, move, open, cover, or interfere with it.
- Move yourself and other people away from the area.
- Close doors to the area and keep other people from entering until police arrive.
- Wash your hands with soap and water if in contact.
Characteristics of a suspicious piece of mail or package that is received unexpectedly may include:
- Arrival via foreign mail or special delivery
- Excessive postage
- No return address
- Incorrect titles or addressed to title only
- Misspellings of common words, badly typed or written
- Excessive amount of tape or string
- Rigid, bulky, lopsided, or uneven package or envelope
- Unknown powder or suspicious substance
- Oily stains or discolorations
- Protruding wires or foil