Evacuation Procedures: Fire, Gas, or Explosion
Emergency evacuation instructions and maps are posted throughout our campuses.
Immediately get to a safe place and call ICC Police if you discover fire, smoke, explosion, structural damage, or gas or other hazardous odors or fumes.
When an alarm sounds or if you are instructed to evacuate:
- Pay attention and follow instructions given over the public address systems.
- Move quickly and use the nearest safe exit.
- Do not use elevators unless authorized emergency personnel tell you to do so.
- Move at least 1,000 feet away from the involved area.
- Keep doorways, walkways, and roads clear for emergency vehicles and crews.
- Do not re-enter the building until someone in authority gives an “all clear” signal.
If safe to do so, as you are leaving:
- Activate a fire alarm by pulling on an alarm box.
- Notify others who might not have heard the alarm or evacuation order.
- Help others if needed to exit the building.
- Report any injured, missing, or trapped persons to emergency personnel as soon as possible.
If you are unable to leave the building immediately (because of a physical disability, injury, or obstruction):
- Go to the nearest area where there are no hazards.
- Call ICC Police to notify them of your situation.
- Give an exact location with room or door numbers and landmarks.
- Signal out the window to emergency responders, if possible.
You must report all fires on campus to the ICC Police Department, including those that have been put out. Smoke is the greatest danger in a fire. Stay near the floor where the air will be less toxic as you evacuate. If clothing is on fire:
- Drop to the ground or floor and roll to smother flames.
- Smother flames using a blanket or other suitable object.
- Drench with water, if available.
- Get immediate medical attention for all burns and injuries.
Serious Gas Leaks / Ventilation Problems
Do not switch on lights or any electrical equipment, including telephone or two-way radio. Remember, electrical arcing can trigger an explosion. Follow evacuation procedures and immediately call ICC Police from a safe place.
Immediately take cover under tables, desks, and other objects which will give protection against falling glass or debris. Follow evacuation procedures once you are able to do so.