- This event has passed.
An event every week that begins at 9:00am on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, repeating until April 11, 2019
An event every week that begins at 9:00am on Wednesday and Friday, repeating until April 12, 2019
Fem Scapes, a mixed media exhibit by Mica Lilith Smith, opens March 20 in Gallery 336B, located in the Academic Building on the East Peoria campus of Illinois Central College.
Smith is a visual artist and educator who earned her master of fine arts degree from the University of Cincinnati College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning in 2012. Her work is comprised of fabric installations, paintings, works on paper and video. She currently lives and works in Huntsville, Tex. where she teaches fine arts foundations, drawing and painting at Sam Houston State University.
Smith said her work focuses on the power of femme aesthetics – specifically those connected to trans female self-preservation and survival. “As a maker, I am drawn to visual contradictions: the softness and hardness that is evident in feminine and masculine aesthetics and the effects that this visual information yields upon viewers when such opposites collide in a single space,” she said in an artist statement about the exhibit.
She said she calls to formalistic cues that imbue soft, haven-like configurations while also using such elements to arrive at compositions that are, at times, foreboding and cacophonous. She aims to create works that evoke intimacy and sensual memory through a trans female lens while touching on the complexities of her own experiences as a trans woman living in and responding to contemporary culture.
The exhibit runs through April 12.
Hours of operation for Gallery 336B are Monday through Thursday, from 9 am to 5 pm and Friday from 9 am to noon. Operation of all galleries may vary with ICC’s holidays and breaks; call the Arts & Behavioral Sciences Department at (309) 694-5113 to verify a gallery is open.
Art exhibits are presented by the ICC Art Program and the Arts at ICC. The Arts at ICC has a rich history of enhancing the arts community and expanding education beyond the classroom. Arts at ICC presents more than 500 exhibits, performances, lectures, rehearsals, meetings, master classes, clinics, seminars, receptions, orientations, forums, auditions and tournaments annually.
Online Ticketing Terms and Conditions
By purchasing ICC Performing Arts Center tickets online, you agree to the applicable terms and conditions listed below.
- Tickets are sold on a no refunds/no exchanges basis.
- Tickets can be purchased using a valid credit card for listed-ticketed events.
- Tickets are generally made available at least 30 days prior to an event.
- Once on the ticketing system homepage, users can enter the ticketing system site by clicking the Login link.
- For general admission (open/non-assigned seating) events, users select the number of tickets of each type (general admission, student, etc.) they wish to purchase, then enter the payment method on the final screen of the transaction.
- For assigned seating events, users select the number of tickets of each type (general admission, student, etc.) they wish to purchase, then select their specific seats prior to entering the payment method on the final screen of the transaction.
- Handicapped-accessible seating sales must be transacted by phone; please call the Box Office at (309) 694-5136 to purchase such tickets or discuss any special needs. The Box Office is open Mon-Fri: 10 am – 4 pm (excluding holidays) and 1 hour prior to ticketed events in the Performing Arts Center.
- Tickets purchased will be available for pick-up at the will call window up to 1 hour prior to the start of the event.
- Online ticket sales will be cut-off 2 hours prior to the scheduled start time of an event. After that time, tickets may only be purchased via telephone or in person at the Performing Arts Center Box Office.
- Please be advised that not all Arts at ICC events require tickets (such as most free events).
- Users wishing to pick up tickets at time other than immediately before the event should call the Box Office at (309) 694-5136 to make arrangements.
- Users purchasing tickets for an available discounted rate (such as student or senior citizen rates, if available) may be asked to provide proof of qualification (such as a student ID) when picking up their tickets.