Face Covering (Mask) Protocol
The college is taking the threat of COVID-19 seriously and is following the recommendations of the CDC, the Illinois Department of Public Health, and Illinois Community College Board. Following current IDPH and CDC guidelines, face masks will be required inside buildings on all of our campuses, unless an individual is alone in their workspace. This is the requirement beginning on August 9. 2021.
Cloth face coverings are recommended by the CDC to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. Cloth face coverings can reduce the release of infectious particles into the air when someone speaks, coughs, or sneezes, including someone who has COVID-19 but feels well. They are not a substitute for physical distancing, washing your hands, and staying home when you are ill, but they are helpful when combined with these measures.
All students and employees should contribute to a supportive but direct culture on campus that supports wearing face coverings. Members of the community should remind each other about face coverings and distancing as part of our mutual commitment to public health, and to attempt to resolve non-compliance frankly, professionally, and quickly.
When Face Coverings are Required
- Face coverings must be worn by all faculty, staff, contract workers, vendors, students, and visitors while on any ICC campus, unless alone in a designated workspace.
- Face coverings are required in all front-line locations even where protective barriers have been placed.
- Face coverings are required in classrooms and labs unless alternative protective measures or equipment is being utilized.
- Face coverings are required in elevators and stairwells.
- Face coverings are required when riding in vehicles with others for college business.
College-Provided Face Coverings
- The college will provide ICC branded cloth face coverings to employees.
- ICC branded face coverings will be made available for students and visitors at Information Desks as well as classroom/lab spaces.
- Requests for N95 masks, other specialized personal protective equipment, or bulk disposable face masks should be directed through a manager to Tim Anderson at [email protected]
Correct Way to Wear Face Coverings
- Wash your hands before putting on your face covering.
- Place over your nose and mouth and secure it under your chin.
- Make sure it fits snugly and covers the nose and mouth at all times.
- Make sure you can breathe easily.
- Wash your hands before and after touching and adjusting the cloth face covering.
- Individuals should be careful not to touch their eyes, nose, and mouth when removing their cloth face covering and wash hands immediately after removing.
Care of Face Coverings
- Wash your cloth face covering frequently, ideally after each use, or at least daily.
- Cloth face coverings should be washed with detergent and hot water.
- Have a bag or bin to keep cloth face coverings in until they can be laundered.
- Discard cloth face coverings that no longer cover the nose and mouth, have stretched or damaged ties or straps, cannot stay on your face, or those which have holes or tears in the fabric.
Unable to Wear a Face Covering
- Questions or concerns from employees about wearing face coverings should be directed to [email protected].
- Questions or concerns from students about wearing face coverings should be directed to Terri Ingles in Access Services at [email protected].
Consequences for Non-Compliance
- An individual not wearing a face covering will be reminded of the requirement and provided an opportunity to obtain a face covering on site if needed (Information Desks and Campus Police Departments).
- An individual who is unwilling to wear an appropriate face covering or is otherwise not complying with safety requirements will be instructed to leave the campus immediately.
- Failure to comply will subject the individual to appropriate action as outlined in the Student Code of Conduct, Employee Handbook, or other applicable guidelines.
Reporting Concerns about Face Coverings
- Student non-compliance should be reported to the Dean of Students using the Student of Concern Reporting Form
- Employee non-compliance not resolved through the manager should be directed to the Human Resources Office at [email protected].
- Visitor or vendor non-compliance should be reported to the Campus Police Department at 309-694-5111 or through the ICC Rave Guardian App.