Skip to content

Current Students

Campus Police

Safety Information

» General Safety Tips

  • Do not leave personal items unattended in halls, classrooms, cafeteria or restrooms.
  • Use the buddy system when leaving classes late in the evening. Two or more people walk to one vehicle. The owner then drives the other people to their vehicles, with all waiting until everyone has their vehicles running and all leave at the same time.
  • Check the Lost and Found department (Campus Police) periodically for your lost and found items. Sometimes it takes a while for items to be sent in from other areas.
  • Report theft of credit cards and checks to Campus Police immediately. Notify your bank or Credit Card Company. Make sure you keep a separate list of your account numbers.
  • Report all thefts immediately to Campus Police.

» Sexual Assault

Sexual assault is a life-threatening act of violence which leaves a person feeling powerless, abused, and humiliated. Every person is an individual and will react differently. Some may be in shock and withdrawn, while others cry hysterically. Still others are outwardly calm and in control. A person may want to be alone, or may fear being alone. Feelings of shame, anger, guilt and fear are normal.

If a sex offense such as rape occurs on campus, Campus Safety and Security should be notified by calling 5111 on campus, or (309) 694-5111 if off campus, or the East Peoria, Pekin or Peoria Police Departments at 911. The victim should not bathe, douche, or change clothes. Evidence must be collected from the victim’s body and surroundings. It is important that all victims of sexual assault receive medical attention. This can be done at any area hospital or a private doctor’s office. If evidence collection is needed, the medical staff will do this. They can also check for VD, pregnancy or injuries. Counseling for victims of sexual can be arranged through Health Services staff that will assist with arrangements with local agencies.

Sexual Assault Response Team
Illinois Central College has established a Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) to provide emergency and follow-up services to victims of sexual assault within the college community. The team also provides prevention programs year-round to educate students, faculty and staff about topics such as: date rape drugs, personal safety, self-defense and acquaintance rape.

For further information and contact information please visit our website:

Registered Sex Offender Information
The Federal Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act (section 1601 of Public Law 106-386), enacted on October 28, 2000, went into effect October 28, 2002, is a law that provides for the tracking of convicted, registered sex offenders enrolled as students at institutions of higher education, or working or volunteering on campus. The law requires institutions of higher education to issue a statement advising the campus community where law enforcement agency information provided by a State concerning registered sex offenders may be obtained. It also requires sex offenders already required to register in a State to provide notice, to the appropriate state agency, as required under State law, of each institution of higher education in that State at which the person is employed, carries on a vocation, or is a student.

The Federal Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act designates certain information concerning a registered sex offender as public information and therefore amends and supercedes the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and other federal and state laws that previously prohibited the disclosure of such personal information. Information regarding registered sex offenders is not subject to release under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).

The Illinois State Police administers the statewide Illinois Sex Offender Data Base. Any questions regarding the program may be directed to the Illinois State Police at (217) 785-0653. Information regarding this program can be found at the following web site:

Other information can be found at the following websites:

Illinois Child Murderer and Violent Offender Against Youth Database

National Sex Offender Public Website

» Stolen Wallet or Purse

Call your bank or financial institution immediately
Have your account number ready. Report the date and time you discovered your checks missing, as well as the number of the checks and ATM cards that were stolen.

Call the police
File a report with your local police department. You may be asked to provide copies of this report to merchants who have been paid by your stolen checks. Your bank may also require this report.

Call your credit card companies
If your credit cards are also missing, you should immediately alert your credit card companies. You'd be wise to keep a list of your credit card account numbers in safekeeping; you'll need the numbers to file reports. Be sure to notify individual department stores and gasoline companies with which you have credit accounts.

Call the Secretary of State's Office
If your driver's license is missing, you must reapply for a new license. Contact the Illinois Secretary of State at (217) 782-6212.